DIY gifts take a lot of time and effort, so they're a great way to show someone important how much they mean to you. If you would like to make a Father's Day gift yourself, you can find various original ideas for children and adults in this article that are guaranteed to put a smile on dad's face.
If the dad loves to cook or often barbecues in the summer, a DIY barbecue apron is both a lovely and useful gift. Young children will have lots of fun with this Father's Day craft idea.
White or beige cotton apron
Fabric paints in red, orange, yellow, grey, and black
Cardboard as a base
1. First, iron the apron smooth to get a flat area for the design.
2. Draw a simplified grill on the fabric. For example, a semicircle with a grid pattern and three legs makes to make a spherical grill. Let the paint dry so that it doesn‘t smudge later on.
3. Let your child carefully presses his or her hands into the yellow and then into the red paint and leave a handprint on the apron. For more handprints, you can also use orange paint. This will create the flames of the barbecue.
4. If you like, you can give dad a title on his new cooking apron, e.g. "Grill Master", "Kitchen Hero" or "Cooking Champion".
Tip: The apron must be made of a fabric that accepts textile dye well and at the same time is strong enough to protect against heat and splashes of fat. Fabrics such as linen or cotton without a water-repellent coating are suitable.
This DIY Father's Day gift accompanies dad every day: a homemade key ring visually highlights the bunch of keys so that they are no longer misplaced or forgotten. At the same time, the lovingly designed pendant can also act as a lucky charm and remind dad of his loved ones every time he picks up the keys.
DIY modelling clay or air-drying clay
Knife or cookie cutter
Stamps with letters and shapes
Small wooden stick
Small pendant & key ring (alternative: yarn)
Acrylic paint in different shades
If you don't have air-drying clay on hand and are looking for a suitable DIY modelling clay, cold porcelain is a good option. Compared to salt dough, cold porcelain is more velvety (less grainy) and appears whiter. You only need three ingredients for this:
½ cup cornflour
1 cup baking soda
¾ cup water
Take a cup with a volume of approx. 250 ml to measure. Then you can start making the modelling clay.
Of course, you can also make salt dough for the key ring. You can find a simple salt dough recipe in our DIY guide for Mother's Day.
1. First mix the dry ingredients and then add the cold water.
2. Heat the mixture in a saucepan for a few minutes, while stirring constantly. The finished dough should have a mushy consistency.
3. Pour the finished mixture into another container to cool and cover with a damp cloth. It is important that the surface does not dry out.
4. Leave the dough to cool for 15 to 30 minutes. If you flatten it a little beforehand, it will cool faster.
5. When the dough has reached room temperature, you can knead it again and shape it into a ball.
6.Together with your children, carefully roll out the cold porcelain to a thickness of about 3 to 4 mm, e.g. on a silicone mat. If the dough is still a little sticky, sprinkle some starch on the mat first.
7. Now let your children cut out the shapes. You can also carefully stamp a pattern into the dough, e.g. with a biscuit stamp.
8. Carefully poke a small hole in the pendants, where you can later attach the key ring.
9. Leave the DIY pendants to air dry for about 24 to 48 hours and then paint them as you like.
10. Finally, attach the key ring or the hanger.
You are likely to have more modelling clay than you need for a few pendants. If your children want to continue crafting - the cold clay can also be used to make fun decorations for a colourful Easter bouquet or the Christmas tree.
If your dad is a real bookworm, this Father's Day craft idea is guaranteed to delight him - after all, passionate readers can never have enough bookmarks. We show you how to make elegant bookmarks from old fabric scraps.
Felt fabric (e.g. blue and grey)
(Vegan) leather or old leather pieces
Scissors, pencil, ruler
Hot glue gun
Wooden beads, leather string, blue yarn
1. Draw a template on a piece of cardboard and cut it out to make a template. The shape should be rectangular, about 4 to 5 cm wide and 15 cm long.
2. Cut the bookmark out of felt or leather using your template.
3. Punch a hole in the top of the bookmark with a hole punch. For thicker fabrics you may need a hole punch.
4. To make the tassel, double the leather string or your coloured yarn several times and thread it through the hole. The tassel should be about 5 cm long.
5. Pull both ends of the string through the wooden bead and knot them tightly.
6. Decorate your bookmark as you like: cut out geometric shapes such as circles and triangles from the remaining fabric and attach them to the bookmark with hot glue. Your bookmark will look especially nice if you mix different types of fabric.
7. A great idea is to give the bookmark together with a good book that will give your dad a few hours of entertainment.
A quick and practical DIY idea for Father's Day is a homemade spice mix. Barbecue spice goes well with many different dishes such as delicious vegetable skewers or oven vegetables. Therefore, a customised spice mix is a good idea if dad eats little or no meat.
Clean jar with lid (canning jar or screw-top jar)
Bowl for mixing
Label or tag
Pen or stamp
3 tbsp sweet paprika powder
3 tbsp sea salt
1 tbsp freshly ground pepper
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp chilli powder
You can modify this basic recipe as you like. For example, add 2 tbsp dried basil and 2 tbsp dried oregano to create a spice mix with a Mediterranean flair.
Pour all the ingredients into a clean jar with a tight-fitting lid. Then just shake it well and the spices will be sufficiently mixed. Of course, you can also mix the spices in a bowl and then pour them in.
Then attach the label: you can attach a small tag to the lid with a thin string or use an adhesive label. Then label your DIY Father's Day gift with a black pen or a small stamp.
A homemade gift basket with delicacies or luxurious wellness products is a gift classic that can be adapted for any occasion and is sure to always go down well. Here are some ideas of what you can fill the homemade gift box with:
Whether you're just giving small nibbles or a proper snack basket, make sure the products you give are Fairtrade to create a sustainable gift.
Cheese crackers, mini pretzels, mixed nuts, or pumpkin seeds
Dark chocolate, white nougat
Tea mix, coffee
Optional: a bottle of wine
Of course, dad will also be happy with some self-care products with which you can bring a spa experience home to him:
Bear in mind that...
The gift basket itself can be seen as a little upcycling project. Simply breathe new life into a clean fruit or wine crate as a gift box. You might want to rub some rough spots with sandpaper or line the box with a clean linen cloth.
Homemade Father's Day gifts are a wonderful way to give your dad a gift that comes from the heart. Many of our Father's Day craft ideas only require a few materials and a little preparation time, so most of them can be made into last-minute gift ideas. Get inspired by our Father's Day DIY ideas and create an original Father's Day gift in no time at all.