Children's Day is a great opportunity to get creative and to try out new craft ideas. You can spend time together as a family and get creative at the same time. Are you still looking for inspiration for a craft idea this Children’s Day? Then you will find some easy craft ideas for Children's Day in this article. We will also give you some step-by-step instructions for each craft idea. We will show you how to make a dreamcatcher made out of natural materials. We will also show you how to make a colourful butterfly out of old toilet paper rolls.
A dreamcatcher is a great decoration for a children’ room and it will help to keep nightmares away and also ensure a good night's sleep. Getting the natural materials together for this craft idea is great fun for children. For example, who can find the best sticks in the garden the fastest? Playing little games like this with your children will make the overall activity even more fun.
Sticks or as an alternative some paper straws
Feathers, wooden beads
A pair of scissors
1. To begin, choose three sticks all of the same length for your dreamcatcher. You can choose either to remove the bark from the sticks or paint them. If you don't have any sticks, you can also use paper straws.
2. Now tie the corners of the sticks together with a piece of thread to form a triangle. The tip of the triangle should be facing upwards.
3. Next, use a piece of yarn to make a net inside the triangle. You can add some decorative beads to your piece of yarn and integrate them into the net.
4. Now knot the pieces of yarn at the bottom of the stick and then decorate them with some wooden beads and feathers.
5. Finally, tie a piece of ribbon to the tip of the wooden triangle to make a hook. Your homemade dreamcatcher is now ready to be hung up!
Instead of yarn, you can also use some colourful ribbon or spare pieces of fabric such as from an old T-shirt to decorate your dreamcatcher. Making a homemade dreamcatcher allows you to get creative and to spend some time with your children.
Homemade colourful paper flowers will brighten up any room and they are a great table decoration. This craft idea is easy and perfect for Children's Day. Below we will show you two different ways to make colourful flowers out of paper with step-by-step instructions.
This craft idea is ideal for children who can already use scissors quite well and can cut out different shapes.
A pair of scissors, pencil, glue/hot glue gun
1. Take a piece of coloured card and using a pair of scissors cut out several flower shapes and petal shapes. Make sure that the flowers vary in size so that you can see the different layers of the flowers. To make it easier for your child to cut out the flowers, you can start by drawing shapes on a piece of paper with a pencil.
2. Now glue the flowers on top of each other with some glue or a hot glue gun so that they form one big colourful flower.
3. Now you can decorate the flower in the middle with a button.
4. Finally, stick the flowers onto the paper straws with a hot glue gun. Voilà your colourful bouquet of flowers is now finished.
To make your homemade flower bouquet really stand out, you can fill a vase with some bark or small stones and then put your flowers in it.
This craft idea is ideal for younger children who are not yet confident in using a pair of scissors.
Paint such as acrylic paint
A pair of craft scissors
Straws or as an alternative wooden chopsticks
1. Start off by painting the paper plate with some acrylic paint. This would be a great activity for children.
2. Next on different parts of the plate cut up to the end of the marked lines with a pair of scissors. This will create the individual petals for your flower.
3. To give the flowers a stem, attach straws to the back of the flower head with glue baste.
4. Finally, cut out some leaves from the green coloured card and stick them onto the stem with some glue.
Tip: If you have any ice lolly sticks then you can use them as stems for your flowers.
Are your children interested in fish and sea creatures? Then making some fish and sea creatures will be a great activity. This craft idea is a fun activity for Children' Day and below we have put two different craft ideas together for older and younger children.
Did you know that you can easily make colourful fish out of egg cartons? This craft idea is lots of fun and they are also ideal as summer decorations.
Paint such as acrylic paint
A pair of scissors and a paint brush
Craft glue and tape
Start off by cutting out the bottom parts of the egg carton.
Now you can paint them with your child or choose a specific fish as inspiration for your design.
While the paint is drying, you can use this time to twist a piece of crepe paper to make a small mouth for the fish.
Next using some tape cut out a rectangle for the fins and then fold it to make a stairs shape.
5. Once the fish is completely dry, you can add the other decorative elements to finish it off. Stick the googly eyes and fish mouth onto the egg carton. Now all that's missing are the fins, which you can attach to the back of the egg carton with some adhesive tape. Voilà your fish are now finished.
This creative craft idea is great fun and at the end you will have a colourful jellyfish that you can use as a window decoration. This Children’s Day craft idea is ideal for young children who enjoy getting creative.
Ribbons or spare pieces of fabric
Paint such as acrylic paint
A pair of scissors and a hole puncher
Start off by painting the paper plate with some acrylic paint. You will only need to paint around three quarters of the plate.
Now cut the bottom of the paper plate into a wavy shape.
Take a hole puncher and punch some holes on the bottom of the plate, but make sure to leave the same distance between each hole.
Next thread coloured ribbons or some spare pieces of fabric into the holes. These will form the tentacles for the jellyfish.
5. Finally add some googly eyes by sticking them onto the plate. Voilà your child now has their own individual jellyfish that they can use as a window decoration.
You will only need a couple of everyday household items for this creative and simple craft idea. This creative idea is also great as a last-minute craft idea.
Toilet paper rolls
A pair of scissors and glue
Coloured pencils, buttons and glitter
Start off by cutting out some wings from a piece of card. Using a template that you have drawn or printed out beforehand can help to guide children whilst cutting out the wings.
Now glue the coloured card onto the toilet paper rolls or paint them with acrylic paints.
Next attach the wings to the back of the paper roll using some glue.
For the butterfly's antennae, bend the pipe cleaners into shape and stick them onto the toilet paper roll with some glue.
5. Now glue some googly eyes and paint a friendly smile onto your butterflies to give them some character.
6. Finally, you can decorate your butterflies with colourful buttons, glitter or coloured pencils. This is a great activity for children who enjoy getting creative.
Children's Day is the perfect occasion to get creative and to enjoy some fun activities. Whether you’re making a dreamcatcher, a paper flower or a butterfly there is a suitable Children's Day craft idea for every age that you can adapt to your child's abilities. This way, you are guaranteed to have lots of fun getting creative and spending time together as a family on Children's Day.