Zug, Switzerland, 17 August 2020 – The Board of C&A AG is pleased to announce several senior leadership appointments within its European business:
- Giny Boer will join C&A Europe as Chief Executive Officer (CEO), effective 1 January 2021, with handover starting 15 September 2020. She will be replacing Edward Brenninkmeijer, currently CEO of C&A Europe and CEO of C&A AG who will step down from both roles on 31 December 2020. Edward Brenninkmeijer has been invited and has accepted to join the Board of C&A AG as Non-Executive Director, effective 1 January 2021.
- Birgit Kretschmer will join C&A Europe as Chief Financial Officer (CFO). She will take over on 1 January 2021, replacing Ralf Senden who has expressed his wish to explore career options outside C&A and will step down from his role on 31 December 2020.
- Eric Andrew Brenninkmeijer has been appointed to the newly created position of Chief Clusters/Countries Officer, effective immediately. In this role, he will have the oversight of all C&A stores across Europe, in addition to his current role as Director of Country C&A Germany.
- Maëlys Castella joined the Board of C&A AG as Non-Executive Director and Chair of the Audit Committee on 1 July 2020.
Allan Leighton, Chairman of C&A AG:
“Over the last two years, C&A has been refocussing on a key number of critical fundamental topics, strengthening the core of the company’s business so it is set for future growth. I am confident that the new leadership team will strengthen C&A’s position in Europe as we continue to adapt to a changing retail landscape, I would like to thank Edward Brenninkmeijer and Ralf Senden for their outstanding leadership skilfully steering the company through the initial turn-around and the COVID-19 crisis.”
“Giny Boer is a highly experienced business leader, with a passion for delivering an outstanding customer experience and a strong track record in leading large retail businesses through change and expansion in Europe. Birgit Kretschmer brings a wealth of experience and expertise in finance, e-commerce and apparel retail. Together with Eric Andrew Brenninkmeijer who has in-depth expertise from more than 20 years leading C&A retail operations, the new C&A Management is perfectly setup to drive the company’s ambitious omni-channel growth plans.”
“Furthermore, Maëlys Castella is a high-caliber board member and C-level executive with broad experience in finance, strategy and sustainability. On behalf of the Board, I wish our incoming leadership team the very best of success in their new positions.”
Edward Brenninkmeijer, CEO C&A Europe and CEO C&A AG:
“We have laid the foundation for a return to growth and safely navigated the COVID-19 crisis. Our online business is growing, our customers are returning to our stores and we are hiring again. In addition, we see a significant increase in our customer satisfaction. It is now time to ensure a successful leadership transition.”
Giny Boer, incoming CEO:
“I am excited to be joining this iconic European brand. C&A is synonymous not just with helping consumers look and feel good but doing so in a way that protects the future of our planet and our communities. I look forward to building on that legacy and growing C&A’s business across Europe.”
Birgit Kretschmer, Incoming CFO:
“I look forward to leveraging my brand experience and expertise in this challenging retail environment to support C&A’s continuous transformation and innovation process.”
Maëlys Castella, Non-Executive Board Director, C&A AG:
“C&A is a brand with a rich heritage and loyal customer base. I look forward to bringing my experience and passion to the table, working hand in hand with the Board and management.”
Giny Boer brings with her over two decades of experience at IKEA, where she held multiple senior management roles across Europe. Most recently, she was General Manager Retail for the company’s Southern & Eastern Europe region, leading a team of over 50,000 employees in 13 countries. Prior to that, she served in several senior management positions at IKEA in Austria and Italy and led the company’s warehousing and distribution activities in the UK, Netherlands and Belgium. Giny Boer started her career at IKEA as Deputy Store Manager in the Netherlands in 1999.
Having held various finance positions across Europe at adidas, Birgit Kretschmer is currently Senior Vice President with responsibility for Corporate & Supply Chain Finance globally. Prior to that, her roles at adidas included Head of PMO for Global eCommerce, Chief Financial Officer Market Europe as well as responsibility for M&A and intangible assets.
Maëlys Castella is currently an independent Director of BIC, where she serves as Member of the Audit Committee and Member of the Remuneration Committee. Maëlys Castella was previously Chief Financial Officer and Board of Management member of Akzo Nobel, then Chief Corporate Development Officer and member of the Executive Committee. Prior to joining Akzo Nobel she held various senior leadership positions in finance and marketing at Air Liquide and started her career at Total.
NOTES TO EDITOR
As of 1 January 2021, the new C&A Europe Management Team will comprise of:
- Giny Boer, Chief Executive Officer
- Birgit Kretschmer, Chief Financial Officer
- Martijn van der Zee, Chief Merchandise and Sourcing Officer
- Eric Andrew Brenninkmeijer, Chief Clusters/Countries Officer
- Dr Andreas Hammer, Director eCommerce
- Elodie Voslion, Director of Human Resources
As of 1 January 2021, the new C&A AG Board will comprise of:
- Allan Leighton, Chairman, Chair of the Nominations Committee
- Alexander Birken, Non-Executive Director, Chair of the Remuneration Committee
- Edward Brenninkmeijer, CEO C&A AG (until 31 December 2020) and Non-Executive Director (as of 1 January 2021)
- Laurent Brenninkmeijer, Non-Executive Director
- Maëlys Castella, Non-Executive Director, Chair of the Audit Committee
C&A is a leading fashion retail brand present in 21 countries worldwide welcomes and provides millions of visitors each day with good quality fashion at affordable prices for their entire family. In Europe, C&A has 1,400 stores. C&A AG is the parent company of C&A Europe and C&A China. For more information, see http://www.c-a.com.
Jens Völmicke, +49 211 9872 5264, press(at)canda.com