- C&A starts in Sneek, Netherlands.
- The Singer sewing machine is introduced.
- C&A begins to specialize in ready-to-wear clothing.
- 1st major expansion: Amsterdam store opens.
- 1st international expansion: Berlin store opens.
- C&A introduces fixed-price tags and a one-year guarantee.
- C&A publicly supports giving German women the right to vote.
- C&A offers fashion for Men, Kids & Ladies “under one roof”.
- C&A institutes cash purchase & exchange.
- 1st store opens in the United Kingdom.
- C&A opens its first men’s store in Germany.
- C&A begins to air cinema advertising.
- C&A begins to advertise on the radio & develop labels.
- C&A initiates self-service.
- 1st store opens in the USA.
- C&A standardizes employee training, emphasizing customer satisfaction.
- C&A begins to offer clothing for small children in a separate department.
- 1st store opens in Belgium.
- Introduction of beach fashion.
- C&A stocks the new mini-skirt.
- Twiggy designs fashion for C&A.
- 1st store opens in France.
- 1st store opens in Spain.
- 1st store opens in Brazil.
- 1st store opens in Switzerland.
- 1st store opens in Japan.
- Yves Saint Laurent & Karl Lagerfeld begin to cooperate with C&A.
- 1st store opens in Luxembourg.
- 1st store opens in Austria.
- C&A sets up an Environmental Working Group.
- “The Berlin Wall” comes down.
- Fur is discontinued in all C&A stores.
- Dot Com Bubble: C&A opens its first website in the late nineties.
- 1st store opens in former East Germany.
- 1st store opens in Portugal.
- C&A mandates ethical Code of Conduct for all of its suppliers.
- 1st store opens in the Czech Republic & Mexico.
21st Century thus far
- 1st store opens in Poland.
- 1st store opens in Hungary.
- The first C&A XL shops open.
- 1st store opens in Russia.
- C&A opens its 1,000th store.
- C&A sets up the European Environmental Working Group.
- 1st stores open in Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey and China.
- C&A opens its first carbon-neutral store in Mainz, Germany.
- 1st store opens in Italy.
- C&A becomes the No. 1 global retailer of organic cotton garments.
- 1st stores open in Romania and Croatia.
- C&A receives the German Sustainability Award for supporting organic cotton.
- C&A rated No. 1 online retailer in Germany.
- C&A stops buying sandblasted clothing.
- C&A begins using electric vehicles.
- 1st store opens in Serbia.
- C&A is the world’s largest buyer of organic cotton.
- 1st Click & Collect Lounges.
- C&A partners with the Water Footprint Network to improve water sustainability in the textile supply chain.
- 1st store reopens in Denmark.
- C&A signs the “Fire and Building Safety Accord” in Bangladesh.
21st Century yet to come
- C&A collections will feature 2/3rds of garments made from sustainable materials; 100% of cotton from more sustainable sources.
- C&A will achieve zero discharge of hazardous chemicals (ZDHC) in clothing supply chains.
- C&A will have engaged in open dialogue with all C&A suppliers on Capability Building programs that improve workers’ livelihoods, secure safer working conditions and increase suppliers’ productivity.